Amazon has been in a dispute with Hachette for some weeks. Today Amazon mass emailed its Kindle authors. The missive is lengthy, however its central message is that Hachette would sell more eBooks if they lowered their prices and that Amazon was trying to persuade them to do so. At the message’s conclusion, Amazon requests that its authors email Hachette in support of its goals.

I won’t be emailing Hachette and this is why: 1) basic economic principles suggest that if Hachette continues to sell high priced eBook, then I should sell more copies of my lower priced ones. 2) As an independent author, I don’t much care about what goes on between Amazon and major publishers. 3) Amazon grants more favorable terms to its major publishers than it does to its indies. For example, a major publisher can work out an agreement with Amazon to pre-sell a book before its release date. I don’t have the same bargaining power.

Bottom line, until Amazon decides to do more to help its indie authors promote their books, I see no reason to do them any favors.