Saga, Volume 1 - Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples Sabriel - Garth Nix Swordspoint - Ellen Kushner Three Parts Dead - Max Gladstone

Graphic Novel and Set in a Time of War and A Love Story

I got into graphic novels late and am trying to catch up with all the awesomeness that is out there, so my recommendation for these would be the various volumes of Saga. This is space opera and romance and all around fantastic writing and art by Fiona Staples and Brian K. Vaughan, with three or four volumes already out and more to come.

Female Main Character and By an Author Who's Written Over 5 Books and Young Adult Book

For these categories, I'm going to recommend Sabriel by Garth Nix, though pretty much anything in that series is great. It's about magic to protect the living from the dead, fantastic animal sidekicks and realistic relationships.

Male Main Character and Fantasy in General and Includes Sword/Knife Fighting

It has to be Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner, which is one of her novels set in a place called Tremontaine. Our hero, Richard de Vier, makes a living by being a professional duellist and ends up in a relationship with a wayward and somewhat-suicidal scholar with a secret.

Debut Book of Any Author and Diverse Books and Published After 2010

For these categories, I'm going to go with Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone, though the sequels (set in the same universe but not necessarily featuring the same characters) are also awesome. This is a world where accountancy and the law are magic and the gods are dead or defeated, those gods also having a strong MesoAmerican flavour. Highly recommended!

Reblogged from Grac's Never-ending TBR Pile of Doom